The Havering Ring: A National Treasure
Paint analysis and history from Elmer Avenue railings
A931b Havering railings.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [466.1 KB]
Geology of Havering-atte-Bower
The maps of the geology of the village have been reproduced with the permission of the British Geological Survey © NERC. All rights Reserved.
The commentary has been written by Andrew Carter, geologist and resident of Broxhill Road. He has explained how the local geology has arisen within the context of the wider area and added related information about the wells in the village and the economic impact of the use of clays for brick and tile making.
"Old maps including Havering-atte-Bower"
In The Romford Recorder of 10th May 2013, there was an interesting article about old maps accessible on the internet. Both the two mentioned below are to be found on the website www.british-history.ac.uk
Modern map making in Britain began thanks to war against France between 1793 and 1815. The army surveyed the whole country in case a French invasion had to be resisted. Sites were needed for heavy
artillery to defend London. Big guns were termed "ordnance", hence we call our official maps the Ordnance Survey. From the 1840s, Britain was surveyed again, Havering being covered in about 1870 and
the village can be found at
However and rather earlier in 1777, two mapmakers, John Chapman and Peter Andre published a map of Essex and this can be found at
Broxhill Road did not exist beyond Bedfords entrance with the way to what is now Lower Bedfords Road being through Bedfords. The Round House had not been built but The Bower House is clearly shown as is Pyrgo and several of the other old mansions.